End of Day 3 for EveryoneConnects, the website has more than 18,000 visits (as mentioned on its Facebook Page). It started on Monday with a mysterious song ‘Through My Window’, being played over the airwaves. The following day, it made the headline in The Star newspaper. Day 3, blurred images appeared on the website; likely the band singing the song.
Its Twitter account @every1connects with 184 followers; averaging 61 new followers per day over the past 3 days. The two key hashtags used are #ThroughMyWindow and #EveryoneConnects with the following stats:
- #ThroughMyWindow: a total 236 tweets from 154 contributors carrying the hashtag; averaging 33.7 tweets per day. And 10.6% are retweets.
- #EveryoneConnects: a total of 243 tweets from 165 contributors; averaging 34.7 tweets per day. And 5.8% are retweets. (Source: What’s The Hashtag?!)
On Facebook, there are already 947 fans on its Facebook Page (as of early this morning).. and before the week is over, I believe it can breach the 1,000-mark. To date, only 13 updates on its Wall. From these 13 updates, it generated a total of 94 comments. That’s average 7.2 comments per update!
What we can learn:
- It is relatively easier to expand your community on Facebook compared to Twitter. Then, maybe it’s easier to go ‘viral’ on Facebook.
- Facebook Wall with more richer contents (photo, video), which act as effective social objects for people to make spontaneous responses and also, engaging people and elicit their comments.
- Higher re-tweet rate is useful for a hashtag can go viral. Or is it? Looking at the example of the SharePoint Conference 2009 in Las Vegas with hashtag #spc09, which was in the Top 10 Trending early this morning (2am, Malaysian time), the retweet is 17.1% out of 12,020 tweets. In terms of retweet, both #ThroughMyWindow and #EveryoneConnects are not far off, 10.6% and 5.8% respectively. Both didn’t make it to the Top 10 trending but #throughmywindow was Trending in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on Monday 19 2009; #throughmywindow was number two after ‘beyonce’ (Source: Trendsmap). Retweet help but it’s not really a critical factor. In the case of #spc09, total tweet per day is more than 1,700 tweets; each contributor averaging 7.2 tweets. Yes, to make it to Trending, you just need sheer number of people tweeting, at any one time.
Verdict: From reach and richness perspectives: Reach refers to total number of followers/fans and richness refers to the dynamics of engagements and conversations. In the case of EveryoneConnects, on both reach and richness dimensions, Facebook wins!