This is a fun set of illustrations of the evolution of social networking. It is commissioned by PeopleBrowsr, in celebration of the Advertising Research Foundation’s 75th anniversary. Not comprehensive, but somewhat, informative. From 1930 to 2011, highlights include:
- 1930: The Notificator.
- January 1978: Computer Bulletin Board System.
- 1989: World Wide Web invented.
- 1989: Online gaming service Quantum Link changed name to America Online.
- 2003: The launch of Friendster, MySpace, LinkedIn.
- 2004: “The Facebook” was launched.
- 2006: Twitter launched.
- 2008: Burger King viral video.
- 2010: First tweet from space.
The illustrations missed to mention the birth of an early social network SixDegrees, social news, and location-based social networking, just to name a few. What are some of the other milestones you think deserve mention?