Asia’s largest low-cost airline AirAsia has recently surpassed the 1 million fans mark on Facebook. Globally, AirAsia is one of the world’s most famous airline brands on Facebook; it is only second to Southwest Airline, in terms of total fans. The US largest airline hit 1 million fans in December last year and today, its Facebook Page with over 1.4 million fans. Here are the Likes tally of some other airlines:
- JetBlue Airways, US-based low-cost carrier, with over 494k fans.
- Air France, touted the European airline with the highest number of fans on Facebook, with over 368k fans.
- Malaysia Airlines, the national carrier of Malaysia, with over 311k fans.
- Lufthansa, the German carrier, with over 208k fans.
- Onur Air, the Turkish airline, with over 193k fans.
- American Airlines, the world’s fourth-largest airline, with over 175k fans.
- Firefly Airlines, budget airline based in Malaysia, with over 149k fans.
- Cathay Pacific Airways, Hong Kong-based airline, with over 104k fans.
- Garuda Indonesia, the national carrier of Indonesia, with over 100k fans.
The Runway to 1 Million
AirAsia started to leverage Facebook towards the end of 2008 and began to actively promote the Page in April 2009. By early 2009, its Page already has over 13,000 fans. Then, in the age of pre-Vanity URL, fans accessed the Page via URL www.new.facebook.com/pages/AirAsia/18801397386.
AirAsia Facebook Page circa 2009
On December 09 2009, AirAsia became the first airline in the world to obtain over 100,000 Likes on Facebook. By September 15 2010, total fans on its Facebook Page exceeded 500,000 and reached 800,000 on December 29 2010.
By last Friday (May 27, 2011), Facebook Page of AirAsia exceed the 1 MILLION fans mark.
- It took AirAsia roughly 12 months to reach 100,000 fans.
- ..8.5 months to increase fivefold from 100,000 to 500,000.
- ..8.5 months to double from 500,000 to 1,000,000.
AirAsia exceed 1 Million Fans
Here’s a peek at some of the metrics of the AirAsia’s Facebook Page:
- Average daily Likes: 1,500 to 2,000 fans
- Average daily active users: 150,000 fans
- Average Wall posts per day: 60 – 80 posts (reaching over 600 posts a day during promotion / sales)
- Average Page views a day: 5,000 to 8,000 (over 250,000 views a day during promotion / sales)
According to Karen Chan, Interactive Marketing Manager of AirAsia, the success of AirAsia on Facebook can be attributed to strong commitment and support from the top management, combined with diligent, enthusiastic efforts of its social media team.
AirAsia Facebook Page circa 2011
AirAsia also has country-centric Facebook Pages to enable more localized engagements:
- Hong Kong
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand