According to the latest Measuring the Information Society report by ITU, there are 363 million digital natives across the globe, or 5.2 per cent of world population, in 2012. And of the world’s young population, some 30 per cent of them are digital natives.
ITU defines digital natives as “as the population of networked youth – aged 15-24 years – with five or more years of online experience.” This is the first time ITU attempts to quantify the number of digital natives in 180 economies across the globe.
FACEBOOK NOW HAS OVER 950 MILLION USERS WORLDWIDE and 80% of its user base are from outside U.S. and Canada.
As of end of Quarter 2 2012, Facebook exceeds 200 million users in Asia. There are now 204.9 million Facebook users in Asia, which is roughly 27% of Facebook’s non-US/Canada user base.
Facebook opened its door to everyone worldwide on September 26 2006. In Asia, Facebook took 49 months to reach the 100 million users mark. With its unabating phenomenal popularity worldwide, the social networking giant took just 20 months to add another 100 million Asian users.
However, Facebook users growth in Asia has been slowing since the beginning of 2011, from its peak of 21% in Q4 2010. In second quarter of 2012, its Asian user base grew by 5.5%.
Facebook has over 850 million users worldwide. Out of that, a total of 194 million users are from Asia at the end of March 2012. Most of these users from the Southeast Asia region – 97 million or 54% of the total Facebook users in Asia. Some other observations on the latest Facebook in Asia statistics:
- In early February 2012, India surpassed Indonesia to become Facebook No. 1 Nation in Asia. Back in January 2011, India has 16.9 million Facebook users. Now, the country has over 45.9 million Facebook users.
- In addition to India, Japan has been growing impressively in the past 1 year or so. Japan started the year 2011 with 1.8 million Facebook users. Today, there are over 8 million users in Japan.
- South Korea has been growing with double digits figure. The country is now ahead of Pakistan in the Facebook in Asia list.
- Among the top ten countries, India, Japan, and South Korea has been the high-growth Facebook nations since early 2011. Throughout 2012, Facebook will be focusing on these three countries for users acquisition, as the Big Blue of the social web aims to reach the 1 billion users mark.
In 2011, Facebook added 69 million new Asian users in 2011. The social networking giant with $100 billion valuation started 2011 with 112 million Asian users and ended the year with 181 million users.
However, its quarterly growth has been sliding steadily in 2011, from 17% in Quarter 1 to 8% in Quarter 4. In Quarter 4 2010, it was growing at 21%.
2010 was the year when Facebook went on hyper-drive growth on users acquisition front in Asia. However, 2011 was the year when Facebook downshifted a gear or two. The decline is expected to continue as many Asian nations are reaching saturation level.
|Table 1: Quarterly Growth of Facebook Population in Asia 2011
Facebook now has over 800 million users worldwide, with 168 million are from Asia. In Quarter 3 this year, Facebook added 16.8 million new users in Asia (compared to 19.5 million in Quarter 2 2011). So far this year, the social network has added some 56 million new users; it started the year with 111 million Asian users. Its latest quarter-on-quarter growth rate is 11%. However, the rate has been somewhat slowing since end of 2010 – from 24% in Quarter 4 2010 to 17% Q1’11 to 15% Q2’11 to 11% Q3’11.
In just two weeks, the scorching hot new social network Google+ has surpassed the 10 million users mark. The milestone was mentioned by Google CEO Larry Page during an earnings call on July 14 2011. These 10 million users are sharing / receiving 1 billion stuff per day on Google+.
Roughly 90% of Google+ users are from outside the US. In the Asia region, the percentage of global Google+ population is around 6%.
- Google+ has now more than 500,000 users in Asia.
- Google’s other social network Orkut used to attract the Indian population in large numbers. Now, the Internet users in India are crazy about Google+. They constitutes more than half of the Google+ users in Asia. Globally, India comes in second after the US, in terms of total users. It is worth to note that India is also fast embracing Facebook. In this latest report, India registered 28% growth rate in Quarter 2 2011 and currently behind Indonesia, in term of total Facebook users.
- About 78% of Asian Google+ users come from the top 5 countries – India, China, Taiwan, Indonesia, Japan.
Today is iPad 2 launch day in Malaysia (together with Hong Kong, India, Israel, Korea, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Turkey and UAE). Apple launched iPad 2 on March 02 2011 and two months later, the latest generation iPad reaches the Malaysian shores. The first generation iPad took seven long months, after launch announcement, before it was officially available in Malaysia on November 30 2010. That means, the launch gap between iPad and iPad 2 is only 5 months!
Here are some photos of iPad 2 queues at some of the Apple reseller stores today in Kuala Lumpur / Klang Valley areas.
Machines, Suria KLCC
photo by Daniel Riveong on Twitter.
LATEST: IT’S OFFICIAL. Apple just announced iPad 2 launch dates – Japan (Thursday April 28) ; Hong Kong, India, Israel, Korea, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Turkey and UAE (Friday April 29).
Back in March 2011, Apple Inc. announced that iPad 2 will be available in Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore and additional countries in April. April is now coming to the end and the anticipation for the iPad 2 here in Malaysia is reaching fever pitch. (The original iPad was launched in Malaysia in November 2010).
Since March 2010, I’ve been monitoring the growth of Facebook users in Asia on GreyReview. In October 2010, I’ve found out that Facebook exceeds the 100 million users mark. At the start of year 2011, there was an estimated total of 111.9 million of Facebook users in Asia.
This is the latest edition of Facebook in Asia series. The followings are some interesting observations of Facebook growth in Asia in the first three months of 2011:
- The latest estimated number of Facebook users in Asia: 131.3 million.
- Total Facebook users grew by 17.3% in the Quarter 1 2011, which is slightly less than the 21.4% in the previous quarter (Quarter 4 2010).
- Indonesia continues to lead with 35.2 million users. Second-placed India with 23 million, followed by Philippines (22.4 million), Malaysia (10.1 million) and Taiwan (9.1 million)
Zynga and MOL AccessPortal today announce the launch of Zynga Game Cards in Asia, which will be available for purchase in more than 500,000 outlets in six Asian countries – Malaysia, India, Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand. (An estimated total of 100.7 million Facebook users in these six Asian countries.)
With the partnership, Zynga leverages MOL’s vast network of physical and online channels to make available the Zynga Game Cards to social gamers across Asia:
- Popular retail chains such as 7-Eleven stores in Singapore and Malaysia, and Singapore’s Comic Connections;
- MOL affiliated cybercafés such as India’s Sify Cybercafes, Philippine’s Netopia Internet Cafes and Thailand’s Fun Loader Cybercafes;
- Electronic payment kiosks, online channels, banking and telco partners such as Malaysia’s Maybank2u, Singapore’s GXCredits and Indonesia’s Gudang Voucher.
As of the weekend of Week 8 2011, there is an estimated total of 642.5 million Facebook users worldwide. It was reported in early January 2011 that Facebook surpassed 600 million users mark. About 76% of Facebook users are from outside the US.
- Top 10 countries make up 366.2 million Facebook users, or 57% of total Facebook population.
- Top 20 countries constitutes 75% (or 481.1 million) of total Facebook users worldwide.
- There are a total of 71 countries with over 1 million Facebook users. Together, users from these 71 countries represent 96% of total Facebook population (see List below).